Dungeon Jukebox

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Rygar - NES


It was a sunny afternoon in late summer when I rented Rygar for the first time.  There was just something about the box art that appealed to me. I had no idea about the Diskarmor at this point, so I had no clue as to what exactly the fiery object on his arm was.  But he was leaping over some kinda monster and fighting off some other winged creatures and that was good enough for me!

I brought the game home expecting more of a beat 'em up type of deal and was actually a bit put off by the fact that it wasn't a straight side to side scroller.  See, the instruction book was missing (as usual) so I wasn't entirely sure what the heck I was supposed to do.  Luckily, I just happened to have a book that covered the game.  I THINK it was Jeff Rovin's How To Win At Nintendo Games....but I dont' have the book anymore and I can't seem to find a list of the contents of that book....so if anyone out there can help me out with that, it would be much appreciated!

Anywhoo....after finally figuring out (well, not really figuring out.....reading) what I had to do, I gave it another go and really started to enjoy the game.  It was reminded me of a cross between Castlevania II: Simon's Quest and Karnov.  Why?  I don't know....but that's what the gameplay always reminded me of. 


In the game, you are Rygar (obviously) and you must protect your kingdom of Argool from the evil King Ligar.  Interesting side note....there is not distinction between "L" and "R" in the Japanese language.....sooo.......Rygar/Ligar....hhhhmmmm.   Anywhoo, you must level up and collect items from five Indora Gods.  Only then can Rygar ascend up to Ligar's flying castle and defeat the evil King.  Cool, eh?


I never beat the game when I was a kid, but thanks to NES emulators of today and websites like Retro Uprising, I'm going to give it another go.    The original arcade version has been released to the Wii's Virtual Console, but not the NES version.

No comments:

Post a Comment